OK, whatever you’re doing, you need to stop right now. It’s time for a little luxury and a whole lot of honeymoon indulgence!
Today, I’m sharing my 10 favourite honeymoon ideas with you in the company of the brilliant 101 Honeymoons, the UK’s leading independent honeymoon ideas site. So, if you’re looking for a dose of escapism post-wedding and a honeymoon that you’ll always remember, this is the feature for you. Grab your passport and take your pick from these dreamy destinations!
Before we start to indulge our wanderlust, let me take a moment to introduce you to 101 Honeymoons. Back in 2009, two Sunday Times travel journalists, Mark Hodson and David Wickers, along with industry veteran Catherine Leech, launched 101 Holidays. 101 Honeymoons burst into life a year later with award-winning travel writer and author, Jane Anderson as editor. Jane spent 10 years as Travel Editor at You and Your Wedding so knows just about everything there is to know about honeymoons and the hottest destinations around for newlyweds.
“The idea behind 101 Honeymoons was to cut through the endless and confusing array of honeymoon options and recommend just 101 ideas, with interesting ways to filter your results,” says founder Mark.
“When it comes to choosing your honeymoon, we always suggest that you start with a full and frank discussion about what you both really want. This is probably the most you’ll spend on a holiday for many years so it’s your chance to do something extraordinary.”
“Also, remember that there’s no ideal time to go on honeymoon. Lots of couples are now realising that they don’t need to go on honeymoon immediately after the wedding with all the added stress that that creates. Also, many of the world’s most interesting destinations are best visited in winter and that’s not the traditional ‘wedding season’.”
I have absolutely no doubt that right about now, you’re already mentally planning your own honeymoon so let’s inspire you to travel to extraordinary places to celebrate your marriage. To help you start compiling your travel wish list, here are my ten favourite honeymoons from 101 Honeymoons:
- New York – I have to start with New York as it’s my favourite city in the world. There’s just so much to do here from all the tourist classics to more individual and unique experiences. I also love the range of accommodation that’s available so pick somewhere that suits your style.
- A Luxury Rail Journey – Trains are my favourite mode of transport and I can’t think of a journey I’d rather take than a luxury expedition through the Canadian Rockies. You just know that that the scenery will be spectacular and your on-board experience will be just as fantastic. This is old-school travel at its very best.
- Iceland – Having been here myself, I can tell you personally that Iceland is beyond amazing. There are waterfalls, dramatic scenery, mountains, glaciers and volcanoes not to mention the possibility of seeing the Northern Lights and that combination is, in my opinion, a honeymoon hit.
- The Maldives – Now this is somewhere that I’ve always wanted to visit and Niyama Private Islands would be my dream destination. Who wouldn’t want to wake up in a luxe over-water pavilion looking out over an endless azure sea? There’s a spa, a 3D silent cinema and beaches that you’ll never want to leave.
- Yachting in Greece – If you’re both waterbabies, what could be better than this? A luxury sailing holiday is a truly idyllic honeymoon. You’ll have a private chef to prepare your meals, a super comfortable cabin and there’s also loads to do including snorkelling, fishing, wakeboarding, paddleboarding and windsurfing, all in the most gorgeous locations.
- Tahiti – Dreamy, exotic and rather exclusive, Tahiti is truly a once-in-a-lifetime destination for your honeymoon. I can’t imagine that there are many more magical places than this and the South Seas tropical experience is one that will stay with you forever.
- The Philippines – As a long-haul destination, the Philippines are a great choice for the eco-conscious. It’s such an inviting destination with a rich cultural backdrop for you to enjoy along with the country’s famous warm welcome. Don’t forget to stroll barefoot on the beach and enjoy all the luxury you can.
- Italian Lakes – For romance aplenty, the Italian Lakes have to be on your shortlist. The entire area is absolutely beautiful, the food is insanely good and there’s a surprising amount to do if you can bring yourself to leave your hotel. Gelato anyone?
- Ecuador & The Galapagos – We all live together on an amazing planet so why not use your honeymoon as an excuse to see more of it and visit Ecuador and the Galapagos? Jungle lodges, great hotels, the Amazon, the Cloud Forests, markets, colourful wildlife and incredible scenery all await. There’s really nowhere in the world that’s anything like this.
- Scotland – Finally, if travelling far afield doesn’t appeal or if you don’t have time for a long honeymoon, Scotland is calling and there’s more to this close-to-home destination than you might think. Private islands, luxurious spas, world-class restaurants and a whole host of activities to enjoy, Scotland is a very special place indeed and I have no doubt that you’ll love it.
So, where will you choose for your honeymoon? Wherever you end up, your first stop absolutely needs to be 101 Honeymoons – don’t pack your case without them! Start your journey on their inspiring website.